Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tuesday, October 1

Small class last night.  Quick warm up, then we went straight into drilling.  The theme for the next two weeks is guard: closed this week and open next week.  I paired up with Jarod and we drilled a pass to the back, a basic arm bar, and a lapel choke.  For some reason, my body is convinced that my legs should cross when doing this arm bar.  I'm not sure how I let that slip for so long.  I really liked the choke.  Now if I can only remember it...

I rolled five rounds, including two with Jarod and one with the new kid.  I was excited about rolling with Jarod because the last time we rolled was last winter and he destroyed me.  He took the summer off and before that was out with a hip injury, so I haven't had a chance to work with him again.  Plus, he's my size, and it's kind of nice to have someone smaller to roll with. 

Rolling with the new kid, I finally understood what other BJJ bloggers mean when they talk about wrestlers coming in and trying to pin you.  I probably took his back four times.  Plus he kept leaving his arms out giving me arm bars galore.  I think he'll learn pretty quick though, because by the end our round he was at least keeping his elbows in.

Overall good class last night.  A little sore all over today.  My wrist is mostly better; still doesn't appreciate pushups though.  (In case you are wondering, I got swept during drilling Monday and was not expecting it so, of course, I stuck my arms out to catch myself.  Dumb, I know.  I sprained my right wrist last summer though, so it's a bit more sensitive than the left.)  Also, I would not be surprised if my nose is bruised tomorrow.  During our first round, Jarod went for an arm bar and raked his leg across my face in the process. When I woke up this morning one side of the base was red, and it's a little sore to the touch.  I'll keep you posted.

Lastly, great news from Monday morning! *said sarcastically* I need full braces!  Blech.  Looks like I'll be learning to roll with a mouthpiece in.

No comments:

Post a Comment