Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Monday, October 7

Felt really good last night!  Quick warm-up and straight into drilling.  We are working guard passes this week for the most part, so obviously we drilled one.  The particular pass we were doing, however, involved driving your elbow into your opponent's sternum, which caused a bunch of partner-switching to avoid awkwardness.  Caleb also had us work on a new transition from the kimura from the top.  If they defend by grabbing their other hand, you bring both legs to their back and roll them to a position where you can complete it from the bottom of guard.  I think I might have been missing a step in the middle as when I rolled, I always felt like I was smashing my face against the mat.  Either way, I made it successfully from point A to point B.

I had a really good night of rolling.  We went five rounds, which is a little longer than we usually have time for.  For once, I actually felt like I was getting somewhere in my rolls.  My guard passing needs a lot of work, but I think my defense is getting stronger.  Plus, I even managed to get in a few good submission chains!  I feel like my rolls are starting to flow more, like I finally know enough to figure out what my position is and what my options are.  It's a good feeling.

Normally, I would have had class again tonight.  However, today was my sister's birthday (Happy Birthday Bella!), so we went out to dinner instead.  I have to admit, it felt pretty strange to be eating frozen yogurt while class was going on.  I'll be back next week though.

No comments:

Post a Comment